2021 GRASSY WATERS PRESERVE PHOTOGRAPHY CONTEST
City of West Palm Beach (WPB) and Grassy Waters Conservancy (GWC)
The contest is intended to showcase the natural environment and diversity in Grassy Waters Preserve (Preserve) by amateur photographers. There are six (6) adult categories and a separate youth category with unique rules.
HOW TO ENTER:
- The entry period is February 1, 2021, through February 28, 2021.
- Entries must be submitted through the GWC contest website at grassywaters.org.
- Each adult photographer may submit up to ten (10) images.
- The adult entry fee is ten dollars ($10) per image and is a tax-deductible donation to GWC.
- Youth photographers may submit up to three (3) images. There is no entry fee for youth category entries.
- All images must be in digital JPEG format and should be the highest resolution available.
JUDGING AND AWARDS:
1. Photos may be entered in the following six (6) Adult categories and the Youth category:
a. Landscape: plants, scenic, water, and weather.
b. Wildlife: mammals, birds, reptiles, amphibians, fish, and insects.
c. Black and White: black and white images.
d. Smartphone: images taken with a smartphone.
e. Closeup/Macro: can be landscape, wildlife, or black and white images.
f. Creative: all digitally enhanced or manipulated images beyond cropping; and minor color, saturation, contrast, sharpening adjustments and HDR.
g. Youth: photographers under age 14 on February 1, 2021, and affirmed by an adult when entering.
2. Judging will be by a professional photographer, and the Preserve and GWC contest staffs (the professional photographer may move an image to a different category).
3. The professional photographer will select a 1st, 2nd and 3rd place in each category, a “Grand Prize”” from the 1st place images, and several additional Honorable Mention images.
4. The Preserve staff will select the “Nature Center’s Choice” for the Preserve’s annual poster.
5. A “People’s Choice” winner will be selected by voting on the adult entries only. The Youth category is not included, any votes will not be counted, and any money paid considered a donation to GWC.
6. The winning and honorable mention photos will be printed and exhibited at the Preserve. Other exhibitions of the photos will be announced.
- Upon submitting a photo, the photographer affirms that it was taken in/of the Preserve. Solid Waste Authority land and trails are NOT part of the Preserve. A map is on the GWC website.
- An entry cannot be a previous winner or honorable mention photo in a Preserve annual contest.
- The contest is for amateur photographers only. A professional is someone who has a significant income from photography or videography. Professionals are NOT eligible, and their entries deemed ineligible.
- If an entry contains the image of a person(s) the person(s) should not be able to be identified or the entry will be deemed ineligible.
- Images should not contain any information identifying the photographer (name, watermarks, etc.). If an entry contains photographer information it will be deemed ineligible.
- Panoramas should not be submitted and will be deemed ineligible.
- An entry deemed ineligible at the sole discretion of the judges will be disqualified with no entry fee refund.
- The photographer grants perpetual rights to WPB and GWC to use entered images without compensation. A reasonable attempt will be made to credit the photographer. The photographer retains their copyright.
- WPB and GWC are not responsible for entries not following the contest rules.
- Preserve volunteers and contractors, and GWC members are eligible to enter.
- The Preserve staff, GWC contest staff, and any contest judge are not eligible to enter.
- By submitting an entry, the photographer agrees to abide by all contest rules and waives claims of any kind against the organizers and judges of the contest.
All photo contest questions should be emailed to email@example.com